Legal Internships: Universal City, CA – Summer 2023
COMPANY DESCRIPTION –
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
To meet students where they are, we will host summer internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person (requiring an intern to work from an NBCU office location 3-5 days per week) based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs.
In addition to all of our internships being paid, we will also offer the following for our Summer 2023 interns:
- Paid company holidays for full-time interns.
- Robust networking, learning and development opportunities for all interns, whether in-person or virtual.
- Financial assistance to offset expenses for transportation and housing may be available on a needs-based basis for eligible in-person interns. More details about eligibility for this assistance will be provided at the time of offer.
JOB DESCRIPTION –
Summer 2023 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: February 3, 2023 at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: June 5 – August 11, 2023
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
NBCUniversal's Corporate groups are uniquely positioned at the core of our organization. Employees within these groups use their area of expertise to support all businesses across the company, keeping the heart of each brand at the forefront. There are also business-specific opportunities available, which may be included in the description below.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
- Content Acquisitions: The Content Acquisitions (Peacock/Entertainment Networks), Business & Legal Affairs team is looking for a law student candidate as part of the Fall 2022 & Spring 2023 internship program to provide support in relation to all aspects of content acquisition for NBCU's direct-to-consumer streaming service (Peacock) and its portfolio of television entertainment networks (NBC, USA, Bravo, Syfy, E! and Oxygen), including a wide range of issues relating to the licensing of film, television, news, sports, live events and original programming.
- Music Business & Legal Affairs: The NBCUniversal Music Business & Legal Affairs team services an array of clients in the Film & Television portfolios. Filmed Entertainment encompasses the Universal Pictures Group, Focus Features, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, and Brand Development. The overall landscape of Film includes distinct business functions that each touch a key segment area in the overall lifecycle of a film, from ideation to premiere. On the TV side there is a vast portfolio of sports, news networks, streaming, entertainment networks, significant television production operations, including scripted, alternative and late night, and a leading television stations group.
- USG Legal Affairs: Universal Studio Group (USG) produces over 100 scripted and unscripted series across multiple countries around the globe for buyers in broadcast, cable, and streaming. Network partners include NBC, Peacock, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple, HBO, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, CTV, ABC, FOX, and ABC among many others. Interns in this role will prepare and negotiate production-related agreements under the supervision of manager and other NBCU attorneys, conduct legal research on issues that may arise during the production of both unscripted and scripted television shows, and assist in creating digests of high-level talent deals.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the length of the program.
- In pursuit of a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited Institution and be able to provide documentation to confirm your degree progress.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Current class standing of 2L or above.
- Coursework and legal experience with an entertainment company or firm.
- Coursework or experience in administrative and copyright law preferred.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Interest in the broadcast, digital media, and telecommunications industries
- Commitment to building an inclusive work environment.
The hourly rate for JD student interns is $25.00