Ad Sales & Marketing Internships: New York, NY - Summer 2023
COMPANY DESCRIPTION –
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
To meet students where they are, we will host summer internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person (requiring an intern to work from an NBCU office location 3-5 days per week) based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs.
In addition to all of our internships being paid, we will also offer the following for our Summer 2023 interns:
- Paid company holidays for full-time interns.
- Robust networking, learning and development opportunities for all interns, whether in-person or virtual.
- Financial assistance to offset expenses for transportation and housing may be available on a needs-based basis for eligible in-person interns. More details about eligibility for this assistance will be provided at the time of offer.
JOB DESCRIPTION –
Summer 2023 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: February 3, 2023 at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: June 5 – August 11, 2023
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
The NBCUniversal Advertising Sales business has been united as one seamless portfolio with a powerful ability to amplify an advertiser’s message and reach the right consumer in precise, targeted ways. With two broadcast networks (English and Spanish language), 15 cable properties and more than 50 digital properties, advertisers can build ideas around their brands that leverage our unparalleled range and diversity of networks, channels and digital platforms.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
- Business Operations & Strategy: This is the strategic, analytical, measurement, and research-focused part of Ad Sales. It is made up of several smaller teams that perform different functions. The overall group is responsible for innovating the go-to-market sales strategy, innovating the commercial products and experience, and managing the programmatic and advanced advertising platforms. This team is hyper-focused on data and research.
- Internship opportunities include: Account Services, Sales Strategy, Digital Sponsorships Strategy, Emerging Business and Partnerships, Enterprise Data, Sales Operations, Sports Digital Account Services
- Sales: The Linear and Digital Sales teams account for half of the content portfolio, as well as Agency direct Account Management and Strategy. These are the teams that sell the traditional television (linear) commercial spots and the digital/streaming advertisements to Agencies. The Agencies represent the brands/marketers that want to spend their advertising dollars with NBCUniversal.
- Internship opportunities include: Agency Partnerships – Magna, Client Partnerships, Digital Sales & Partnerships, Global Sales, NBC & Telemundo Business Development
- Planning: The planning roles consist of the pre-sale support team (Strategic Planning, Platform Monetization) as well as the post-sale support team (Account Services). The Strategic Planning team is one of the largest entities in Ad Sales and supports the Account Executives and Account Directors with pre-sale campaign planning, including pricing, inventory, ad placement, etc. Essentially, they determine, based on market factors and data, how ad spots should be priced and what inventory level we should offer clients.
- Internship opportunities include: Strategic Planning & Inventory, Digital Inventory – Peacock, Digital Planning – Peacock, Planning – NBC Sports, Platform Monetization
- Creative Partnerships: This is the creative/marketing part of Ad Sales – also known as Integrated Marketing. Integrated Marketing means bringing in outside brands to advertise across the NBCU networks. This is the team that designs and even create the ad campaigns in response to RFP’s brought in by the Sales team. They also work with Research for data supporting an ad campaign strategy, and operations to execute the ad campaigns. Content Innovation Agency is our in-house creative agency.
- Internship opportunities include: Marketing – Cable, Marketing – Peacock, Trade Marketing
- Corporate Communications: An intern with the Ad Sales Communications department will assist our team in preparing for press conferences and event logistics; research media outlets and contacts for our media list database; track press coverage and compile roundup reports; research and provide short summaries on industry news and updates; assist in developing communication assets across the entire NBCU Advertising and Partnerships division from partnerships to ad tech to innovations and more; and support team on key tentpole company moments potentially including Upfront, Cannes Lions, and more.
- Marketing, Content Distribution: This team provides support to our distribution partners on behalf of our networks, ranging from event access, experiential opportunities, and marketing materials/toolkits to help drive awareness for NBCU’s major programming priorities and initiatives across all platforms. Tasks can include preparing materials for marketing campaigns, tracking marketing promos, conducting research on distributors and marketing trends, and more.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the length of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be willing to work in New York, NY.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Strong interest in the media industry.
- Commitment to building an inclusive work environment.
- Ability to multitask and highly organized.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Previous internship experience and on-campus involvement.
- A background in any of the following areas: Advertising Sales, Business Operations, Consumer Research & Insights or Communications, with a desire to learn about different areas of the Advertising field.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite is strongly recommended.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, SPSS, or other tools is preferred.
The hourly rate for undergraduate student interns is $16.50