Spring Co-op/Biology Research
The ViiV Healthcare site is a standalone facility located at 36 East Industrial Road in Branford, CT. It has approximately 50 employees, with 39 scientists from the Research and Development arm and 11 physician and support personnel from the Early Clinical Development group of ViiV Healthcare. The site contains over 22,000 square feet of lab and office space and the R & D group consists of 21 Biologists and 9 Chemists. The site is approximately 5 years old and contains state of the art equipment and facilities. The personnel interact closely with other ViiV and GSK research sites throughout the country and in the UK. The goal of the Department is to identify and develop novel agents for the treatment and cure of HIV.
This position will support the discovery and characterization of novel biologics (antibodies, proteins, antibody fusions) with potent anti-HIV-1 activity. The successful candidate will apply existing assays and methods and develop novel ones as needed to identify potential drug candidates. The position is laboratory based and will require the use of microbiological, immunological and biochemical techniques. The successful candidate will perform basic research on topics of interest to the department with the goal of publishing the results in a peer reviewed journal. The candidate, with appropriate training, will be expected to work independently, record all work and organize and present results at internal meetings.
- Pursuing a degree in Biology, Virology or a related field.
- Candidates should have some experience in some aspects of either molecular biology, virology, biochemistry or protein production, purification or characterization.
- Willing and able to learn new techniques quickly and translate them into publishable findings.
- Must be able to work full-time (35-40 hours/week) throughout the 6 month co-op.
- Must have an active student status and/or within 12 months post-graduation from a BS or MS degree program. Post-doctoral candidates are not eligible.
- 3.0 or greater cumulative GPA.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite desirable.
- Must successfully pass a drug screen and background check prior to assignment target start date.
- Must provide your own funding for relocation and commuting.
- If your skillsets are a match for this role, you will be contacted by our recruitment team with next steps to complete our internal World of GSK Assessment.
- Please note, you must receive a passing score to move forward in the interview process. Once your assessment is complete, a recruiter will review your results and be in touch with next steps.
If you are hired for an on-site role, you will be required to provide Atrium with proof of COVID-19 Vaccination as a part of the on-boarding process on behalf of GSK. GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical, or disability-related reasons.