Expenditure Accounting Management Trainee - 2022
A Day in the Life
Norfolk Southern is a Fortune 300 company with over $34 billion in assets and employs over 25,000 across our network. Our dynamic Accounting group is made up of four departments:
- Accounts Payable
- Capital Accounting
- Miscellaneous Billing
As an accounting analyst trainee, you will join a large and diverse CPA certified population of focused and experienced staff within one of those four departments. During the six month training period, trainees will shadow analysts, receive tasks from their assigned group, and have the opportunity to assist other groups to gain exposure to the responsibilities of the entire department. After completion of the training program, trainees will be afforded the opportunity to advance within one of several functional areas. Examples of position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create data sets through SAP reports and applications to develop data-driven insights into business results and accounting practices at Norfolk Southern.
- Utilize analytical tools to identify trends related to freight traffic, customers, invoices and payments.
- Provide comprehensive updates to the Management team and related stakeholders regarding customers’ accounts.
- Review electronic invoices, statements, and interface with vendors concerning discrepancies.
- Actively participate in own professional development as guided by the management team.
What makes a successful Accounting Trainee?
- A self-starter committed to seeking opportunities to learn about the rail industry and accounting practices.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to manage time, plan and prioritize work demands effectively.
- Positive and professional attitude on a daily basis.
*Starting pay for an accounting Management Trainee is $55,000.
- Environment: Office, Monday - Friday 7AM-4PM/ 8AM-5PM
- Travel Required: 0-3 days per month
- This position is located in our Midtown Atlanta office
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred: Master's Degree
- Preferred Degree Paths: Accounting, Economics, and Finance
- In depth knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office