Expenditure Accounting Intern Summer 2022
A Day in the Life of an Account Analyst Intern
Norfolk Southern is a Fortune 300 company with over $34 billion in assets and employs over 25,000 across our network. The Accounting Analyst Interns who work in our Expenditure Accounting group in Atlanta, GA, are responsible for managing our accounts payables.
Our dynamic Accounting group is made up of four departments:
- Accounts Payable
- Capital Accounting
- Miscellaneous Billing
As an account analyst intern, you will join a large and diverse CPA-certified population of attentive and experienced staff within one of those four departments. Examples of position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create data sets through SAP reports and applications to develop data-driven insights into business results and accounting practices at Norfolk Southern.
- Utilize analytical tools to identify trends related to freight traffic, customers, invoices, and payments.
- Provide comprehensive updates to the Management team and related stakeholders regarding customers’ accounts. Review electronic invoices, statements, and interface with vendors concerning discrepancies. Actively participate in own professional development as guided by the management team.
What makes a successful Account Analyst Intern?
- A self-starter committed to learning the ins and outs of railroad operations, as well as the industry regulations.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to manage time, plan and prioritize work demands effectively.
- Positive and professional attitude daily.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree
- Preferred Degree Paths: Accounting, Business Analytics, Finance, Management, and other majors in a similar field of study will be considered
- In-depth knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software
Freshman (27 or fewer credits) - $2,500/month
Sophomore (28 to 59 credits) - $2,800/ month
Junior (60 to 89 credits) - $3,000/month
Senior (90 or more credits) - $3,300/month
Graduate Student - $3,666/month
*Living stipend of $850/month is available to those who qualify.
7:00AM to 4:00PM
June - August
Travel Required: 0-1 days per month