Special Education Teacher (SY21-22)
Special Education Teacher (SY21-22)
Grade Level: Middle School
Start Date: ASAP
Locations: Lawrence, MA
About UP Education Network
UP Education Network is a school turnaround organization whose mission is to rapidly transform chronically underperforming district schools into extraordinary schools that sustain high achievement over time. UP transforms schools into exceptional learning environments in partnership with families and communities. Students in UP schools cultivate sharp minds, share their kind hearts, and explore their path and potential. UP graduates succeed on the path to college and pursue their passions. Today, UP is the largest nonprofit school network in Massachusetts and is privileged to serve a highly diverse group of more than 2,500 PK-8th grade students across five schools in Boston and Lawrence. All of our school based staff are district employees and receive district benefits.
At UP, your career is shaped by:
- Opportunities for immediate impact: UP offers a chance to bring best practices found in high-performing schools to students previously enrolled in struggling schools, and to rapidly unlock the potential of these students.
- Talented, mission-driven colleagues: Our staff is enthusiastic, dedicated, and willing to do “whatever it takes” to put every student on the path to college.
- Collaboration and teamwork: Staff members collaborate and work closely together on grade-level or content area teams, using data to track student performance as well as guide instructional practice.
- Consistent professional growth and development: Members of our staff typically have bi-weekly check-in meetings with their managers where they receive targeted coaching and support. Additionally, the entire staff participates in weekly professional development sessions during the school year, kick-started by extensive training in August.
Lead Teachers are full-time members of the school staff. All lead teachers have regular duties in the course of the day that may include lunch duty, arrival and dismissal duty, recess duty and or hallway coverage. Lead teachers must have a deep desire to work with educationally underserved student populations and their families
- Provide an exceptional and rigorous learning environment for students to ensure they are performing at grade level or beyond by the end of the school year
- Responsible for the development and/or execution of curriculum and the instruction of content aligned to the MA Curriculum Frameworks
- Able to create and execute quality lesson plans
- Ability to analyze student data to inform instruction and monitor student progress
- Consistently hold students accountable to school-based behavior management plan and aligning with Social Emotional Learning practices
- Communicate and partner effectively with all students, staff and families to support student success
- Participate in school-wide professional development and activities, as well as cohort meetings; this includes 2 weeks of staff professional development in August
- Perform all other assigned school duties
- A deep desire to work with educationally underserved student populations and their families;
- A passionate belief in UP Academy’s mission, values, and educational model;
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
- A sense of humility and a growth mindset
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred
- Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
- Moderate Disabilities Certification preferred
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position for which they are qualified. Our students must be exposed on a daily basis to a diverse group of powerful role models. Therefore, we have a responsibility to recruit, retain, develop, and reward a diverse and talented staff from a wide range of backgrounds to join our creative, mission-driven team